Digoxin is a medication that consists of cardiac glycosides and is used to treat heart failure and irregular heartbeats. In large amounts or over a long period of time in improper doses, the cardiac glycoside is potentially a poisonous chemical. Monitoring the levels of digoxin is essential in making sure that a person is receiving the proper amount needed.
If the level of digoxin is too low, one could experience symptoms of heart failure:
- shortness of breath
- edema, or swelling of the hand and feet
If the levels are too high, the symptoms of an overdose are as follows:
- difficulty breathing
- irregular heartbeats
- abdominal pain